Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(November 2005)

Subject: Re: Posting style filters?
From: lee <davislee @ btinternet . com>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 13:05:06 +0000
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

All interesting stuff, Jim.
I think my admin experience has probably given me the mindset that requesting (although often considering !) certain etiquette is a waste of time and impractical; this is probably largely because my area of experience is with lists/forums where the participants have mild through to severe personal and emotional problems. ie, the last thing I want to enforce or could achieve, is demand tough rules on how to post. I do however have a fairly strict Conduct and Discipline Structure, offered by me and agreed by concensus, regarding what people post about and how they treat each other. I reasonably often have to use it, and seems to be fair and effective without imposing 'my' views specifically. Out of interest, here it is : (url broken here to avoid unwanted search engine indexing) http : // incelsite . com / conduct . shtml

lee

Jim Osborn wrote:

Many of the lists of which I am a member do enforce such policies.
It seems the more the lists are targeted at "professional" membership
the more the maintainers keep tight hands on the reins...
One of my favorite lists deals with aggressive dogs.  That listmom
specifies the format of the Subject line, the line length of the
body, and has guidelines for sentence structure and grammar, as well
as the customary rules regarding excess quotation, plain-text-only,
etc. There's also a booklist you're expected to have read before you
post at all.  If you make your living helping people manage difficult
dogs, I guess you don't stand for any breaking of the rules on the
list you run. Sit. Stay. Write. :)
--

A perfect internet companion: LEE'S FREE MUSIC STATION <http://uk.music.yahoo.com/lc/?rt=0&rp1=0&rp2=1453474498>
Example recent playlist HERE <http://www.incelsite.com/playlist.gif>