Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 2007)

Subject: Re: spam being sent through list-digest-outgoing
From: "Tom Neff" <tneff @ grassyhill . net>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 15:29:07 -0500
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Fri, 26 Jan 2007 11:39:48 -0800 (PST), zuess007 @
 zoso .
 net said:
> I will call my mailing list "list" in hopes to finding a solution to my
> problem. What is happening is spammers have found a way to send spam
> directly to the digesters by using "list-digest-outgoing" This spam does
> not generate with the digest nor does it archive. But it finds its way to
> all the people in digest mode. I do have root access to this machine as
> well as the mail aliases, but I am clueless on how to stop this without
> stopping the digest. Any and all help would be so much appreciated. I am
> also willing to send a copy of my majordomo aliases if this would help.

This is mentioned in section 3.6 of the Majordomo FAQ at
http://www.greatcircle.com/majordomo/majordomo-faq.html .

If you are not "tech-y" you will need to have an admin type help you.

My favorite technique (not mentioned in the FAQ) was to use Procmail (
http://www.procmail.org/ ) to handle the -outgoing alias, and in the
Procmail config for the alias, put in a filter so that only messages
coming from the local Majordomo processor are passed through.  I have
long since switched to Mailman but this technique should still work.