Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 2007)

Subject: Re: spam being sent through list-digest-outgoing
From: "Michael C. Berch" <mcb @ postmodern . com>
Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 13:28:55 -0800
To: zuess007 @ zoso . net
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

On Jan 26, 2007, at 11:39 AM, zuess007 @
zoso .
net wrote:
I will call my mailing list "list" in hopes to finding a solution to my problem. What is happening is spammers have found a way to send spam directly to the digesters by using "list-digest-outgoing" This spam does not generate with the digest nor does it archive. But it finds its way to all the people in digest mode. I do have root access to this machine as well as the mail aliases, but I am clueless on how to stop this without stopping the digest. Any and all help would be so much appreciated. I am also willing to send a copy of my majordomo aliases if this would help.

My low-tech solution to this was just to rename list-digest-outgoing to something not easily guessable, like "list-digest-outgoing-xyzzy" and changing the other aliases for the list to conform. It's unlikely to be discovered, since a spammer has to get their grubby little hands on an actual message to read the headers, but if it is, you can change it again.

--
Michael C. Berch
mcb @