Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1992)

Subject: Re: Listserve vs News
From: Brent Chapman <brent @ GreatCircle . COM>
Date: Tue, 01 Dec 92 17:55:28 -0800
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Gess Shankar <gess @
 knex .
 gwinnett .
 COM> writes:

# I am a novice list operator (2 days old). The subject matter is multimedia
# under OS/2. Due to very light traffic on this subject in various comp.os.os2
# newsgroups, I felt a mailing list might be in order. But on the first day
# of announcement, I got about 100 subscriptions. Subs are still trickling
# in. Does this mean, I should have proposed a multimedia newsgroup creation
# rather than launch a list?
#
# I have about 10 postings today exploding to 1000+ mail messages. Feelings
# are similar to Adam, who said to Eve, "Stand back, I don't know how big
# this thing is going to get!". ;-)
#
# Do the lists keep growing or do they reach an optimum level and tend to
# stay at that level with additions canceling out sign-offs?

Relax.  New lists always generate an initial spurt of subscriptions,
followed by a burst of questions as everybody asks the one question
they've been dying to get off their chests, then they die down into
almost total silence after a couple of weeks.

Those first couple of weeks can be brutal, though...  Ask anyone who
was on Firewalls from the very beginning.

-Brent
--
Brent Chapman                                   Great Circle Associates
Brent @

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Listserve vs News