Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1992)

Subject: Re: Listserv vs News
From: Peter Svanberg <psv @ nada . kth . se>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 92 00:03:09 +0100
To: "Roger Fajman" <RAF @ CU . NIH . GOV>
Cc: mmorse @ z . nsf . gov, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM, ledwards @ nsf . gov, jcrawfor @ nsf . gov

Quoting:  "Roger Fajman" <RAF @
 CU .
 NIH .

> Reasons to use list managers instead of or in addition to netnews:
>	:
>	:
> (2) Private lists (i.e., subscriptions are controlled for some reason).
>
> (3) Lists where it is desired to limit who can post (without having a
> moderator).

Yes, this can only be solved with mail or special conferencing systems.

> (5) Lists used to broadcast important announcements.
>
> I can imagine someone who is not really into electronic discussion, but
> who needs to be a member of a couple of low activity lists because of
> their job.  Such a person might well prefer email to netnews.  Not
> everyone is a net junkie.

Yes, I totally agree to this. But that's because the mail and news
worlds are so separated. When I started using Unix (middle 80-ies) I
very soon wondered at why you had to use totally different programs to
read and send mail and news respectively.

We have just the above problem: Lots of students which read mail but
not news. It's rather silly to send out hundreds of copies of the same
message just because there is not a common interface to mail and news.
Yes, there _are_ differences between news and mail - those must be
evident for the user - but a good program should be able to handle
them together.

There is hope, though: People at the University of Washington have
also just these thoughts and are implementing them (Pine, IMAP2bis
etc.).
---
Peter Svanberg, NADA, KTH		    Email: psv @
 nada .
 kth .
 se
Dept of Num An & CS,
Royal Inst of Tech			    Phone: +46 8 790 71 46
S-100 44  Stockholm, SWEDEN		    Fax:   +46 8 790 09 30

Indexed By Date Previous: Listserv vs News