Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1992)

Subject: Re: How to deal with bounces
From: Gene Rackow <rackow @ antares . mcs . anl . gov>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 92 22:09:48 CST
To: Gess Shankar <gess @ knex . gwinnett . com>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM, rackow @ antares . mcs . anl . gov

The thing that I have been doing is to take and move the offending
addresses to a "list-bounce" mailing list.  Then daily (weekly, traffic
dependent) a message gets sent to the list-bounce address stating how to get
off of the bounce list and onto the real list if desired.  Then, after some
amount of time, I will drop them from the bounce list completely and
not worry about it.  majordomo or listserv are very nice for this function.
Clean, clear, and little user complaint.  It gives the
users on the remote end a chance to corrent their mail problems and
also be notified that their goof ups are causing the rest of us alot of
grief.

Something that I've been thinking about adding into majordomo is a
way to have a list of addreses to check before adding them to the
list.  If the address is in the bozo list, the request will be
denied with some message (possibly) until the list maintainer has
been notified that the bozo address has been corrected in a way suitable
to both parties.  There are some addresses that keep popping up bad
and the user keeps sending in subscribe me messages just to stay on the
list, even though his address, or something, is flakey at best.

--Gene