Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1992)

Subject: Re: How to deal with bounces
From: mickey!sullivan @ csvax . cs . caltech . edu (Michael Sullivan)
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 92 07:47:29 PST
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

There are some bounces that you're going to get because of things like down
machines or networks.  These I just let go and assume will get retried at a
later date--besides, it's just too much of a hassle to resend for each and
every bounce.  If someone really does miss an issue they can always request
a back issue from my back issues address.  For things like "user unknown"
or "host unknown" (actually, after a few "host unknown" messages) I pass the
offending address to a little script I have called "bouncer".  This takes
the address and sends a little "what's happened to this person"-type of message
to the postmaster at the offending site (so it takes joe @
 bozo .
 com and sends
to postmaster @
 bozo .
 com).  This way I can find out for sure if the user has
left the site or if something is wrong with their system.  I try to be sure
before shutting someone off.

Michael Sullivan                     sullivan @
 mickey .
 disney .
 com
Walt Disney Feature Animation        uunet!elroy!cit-vax!mickey!sullivan
Glendale, CA                         +1 818 544 2683  --  +1 818 544 4579 (fax)

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: How to deal with bounces