Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1992)

Subject: Re: How to deal with bounces
From: "Michael H. Morse" <mmorse @ z . nsf . gov>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1992 11:13:44 EST
To: Michael Sullivan <mickey!sullivan @ csvax . cs . caltech . edu>, List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

> For things like "user unknown"
> or "host unknown" (actually, after a few "host unknown" messages) I pass the
> offending address to a little script I have called "bouncer".  This takes
> the address and sends a little "what's happened to this person"-type of message
> to the postmaster at the offending site (so it takes joe @
 bozo .
 com and sends
> to postmaster @
 bozo .
 com).  This way I can find out for sure if the user has
> left the site or if something is wrong with their system.  I try to be sure
> before shutting someone off.

You are the nicest list manager in the world!  How many total
subscribers do you have on all your lists?  How many bounces do you
handle this way each week?

--Mike

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: How to deal with bounces