Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(December 1992)

Subject: Posts by non-members
From: rick @ vsystem . wimsey . bc . ca (Rick Vandenberg)
Date: Thu, 31 Dec 92 13:26:36 PST
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

I've written a file- and list-server, and have a question about
how I can have it handle the following situation:

On one particular list, posts are allowed by non-members; that is, the
poster does not need to be subscribed.  The reason for this is that one
of the addresses on the list points to a mail<->news gateway on another
system.  Messages may come from any of a thousand users on this
system.

Normal operation of the mailing list is to have Reply-To: point back to
the mailing list.  Sender: is set to MAILER-DAEMON, so bounces don't go
back to the list.

The difficulty occurs where a non-member posts from another site.  The
back to the list.  Because the original poster is not subscribed to the
list, it's doubtful that he/she will ever get a response.

What I'd like to know is how other administrators handle something like
this.  I suppose I could build in some logic to flag a site as a
gateway, and then have the software send a message to any
non-member that is not at a gateway site.  Something like "If you want a
response to your message, you'd better subscribe quick!".  Or perhaps I
could have the software remove the Reply-To: header in these situations.

Any ideas?

Rick

--
Rick Vandenberg             rick @
 vsystem .

Indexed By Date Previous: Archive-server for System V