Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 1995)

Subject: Re: Poor Man's List-Maintenance (was: Re: majordomo on the Internet)
From: sds @ jazzie . com (Sean Shapira)
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 1995 16:55:39 -0800 (PST)
To: ddt @ lsd . com (Dave Del Torto)
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com, 70611 . 410 @ compuserve . com, mcb @ postmodern . com

Michael C. Berch wrote:
> >The best way to do this is to pick your own domain name and register
> >it, and have mail routed to you by whatever service provider you
> >choose.

Absolutely solid advice.  Your domain name service can come from
any provider, not just from the guy providing you with access!
(I'm biased here, since I offer inexpensive name service but not
inexpensive access.  ;-)

Regarding email list service, Dave Del Toro wrote:
> you are at the mercy of [the provider's] support staff,
> and any changes you want to make can become complicated.

Any good email list software (like Majordomo) provides list owners
with the ability to configure the list without intervention by the
system administrator.

Dave then describes:
> another scenario for reasonably low-cost access and list-maintenance
> that leaves you in pretty reasonable control of your own shop.
> You'll need [...] _fixed_ IP addressing [so] the ISP
> can [...] route all mail [for your domain] to your POP account.

A technically competent provider can route all mail for your domain
to POP accounts, regardless of whether you have a fixed IP address.

> Personally, I use Qualcomm's Eudora software on a very fast Macintosh
> workstation.  [...]  Once it handles automated outgoing mail, it'll
> be a great list solution for those of us on a limited budget.

Agreed.  Until it arrives though, it's vapor.  And it won't ever
scale smoothly if one of the lists you run takes off in volume.

> In [the high volume] case, either deal with
> your ISPs list-maintenance service and support, or buy a cheap UNIX box,
> strap it to a leased T1 line (or an ISDN line if its available where you
> are) and run Majordomo or LISTSERV, etc.

Heck, if you really want total control of the machine handling your
lists, buy a cheap box (it could even be a Mac ;-) and set it up as
a dedicated server co-located on your provider's network.  This can
be quite inexpensive if you find the right provider....

--
Sean Shapira         sds @
 jazzie .