Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 1995)

Subject: elementary questions
From: Tim Miller <70611 . 410 @ compuserve . com>
Date: 27 Jan 95 19:47:48 EST
To: list managers list <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>

Tim Miller here.

Thanks for the help so far, folks. I'm closing in on a solution, and have
already contacted the sources you have suggested. However, I'm afraid I'm an
internet ingenu (an intergenu?). I'm willing to do my homework and have
already bought the books, but you could give me a little bit of a head start.

mcb writes:

<<The best way to do this is to pick your own domain name and register
it, and have mail routed to you by whatever service provider you
choose.>>

Could someone give me a general idea of what domain names are, how one
registers them, and how mail is routed to domains?

Eric Thomas writes:

<<I'm not sure why you want to get the lists and your  Internet  access  from
the  same place,  other  than  for  billing convenience.>>

Could someone give me the general idea of how one arranges to have internet
access in one location and a list in another?

Eric continues,

<<As for the address stability,  if I were you I would arrange for a  place
like Compuserve  or then a  major university to  register an alias for  you.>>

Could someone give me a general idea of how and where one registers an alias,
and approximately what aliases are?

Thanks so much for sharing your time and knowledge.

Best regards,

Tim

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Resistration of Domain Name