Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1995)

Subject: Weird mail followup
From: arielle @ taronga . com (Stephanie da Silva)
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 1995 15:41:25 -0500 (CDT)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

I've kind of figured out what has happened with the strange mail.

Best that I can put together from what happened and from talking to people
is someone put up a web site and catalogued a list of contacts for the
links he made to other sides from his web page.  It appears that he set
this list up as a mailing list.  And a poorly configured mailing list at
that -- it sends bounce messages back to the message originator and not
back to the list-owner.

So here I am and who knows how many other people on this unmoderated
reflector.  The mess started when someone wrote this guy (or he wrote
her, I'm not too sure the of order), but in his message to her, he Cc:'ed
the reflector address.  She wrote him back and she apparently has one
of those mailers that automatically Cc:'s everyone listed in the header
which of course, emailed the exchange through this mailing list. That
started the ball rolling with the usual "Why did you send me this mail?
Who are you?  What's going on?" confused responses as other people
responded as also included all the cc:'ed addresses (which made it harder
to pin down which address was the reflector).

Fortunately, this didn't mushroom.  However, sending to the reflector
caused one to get spammed with over 20 user unknown bounces and various
replies from auto-responders.  Email to both the postmaster at the site
and the web maintainer has not been responded to.  I don't know if the
reflector is still active, I'm kind of reluctant to send anything to
it to test it.

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Potential spam mailing