Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1995)

Subject: "price" of receiving mail
From: cathy @ ncbapsun2 . pet . wfu . edu (Cathy Eades)
Date: Tue, 3 Oct 95 15:30:37 EDT
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . com

I often hear of the un-scalability of sendmail and especially
the combination of sendmail and majordomo.  What I wonder is what
is the impact on a modest departmental computer that receives
(sometimes) up to 200 messages per day, 90% of which are for one
particularly rabid sports fan.  Naturally, the messages are not
spaced randomly throughout the day, but tend to cluster at the
beginning of the work day and after lunch.  I *might* be able
to persuade the sports fan to go for the digest edition of the
mailing list, but I would want to know if the receipt of his
mail is *really* making the impact that I think it is.  I
have to persuade, rather than demand, because the sports fan
is my boss.  Help!
Cathy Eades                     e-mail: cathy @
 ncbapsun2 .
 pet .
 wfu .
 edu
PET Center, Div. Rad. Sciences                 phone: (910)716-5628
Bowman Gray School of Medicine                   FAX: (910)716-5639
Winston-Salem, NC  27157

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: Allowing unbracketed IP addresses?