Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1995)

Subject: Re: Returned mail: User unknown
From: Bruce Perens <bruce @ Pixar . com>
Date: Thu, 05 Oct 1995 12:27:17 -0700
To: mgg @ triad . com
Cc: bobmhoon @ onramp . net, postmaster @ onramp . net, postmaster @ triad . com, postmaster @ marvin . com, postmaster @ calypso . com, postmaster @ sb . com, list-managers @ greatcircle . com, bruce @ Pixar . com

Mark,

Your message is so unlike what I'd expect from a list manager that I'm not
sure if your message is a forgery or not.

I operate a number of lists at Pixar, one of them with 600 subscribers.
The "lists" command is a public, documented feature of the list server that
is meant to tell users just the information you are objecting to here.

To reiterate, there is absolutely nothing wrong with what this user was doing.

Maybe you're just having a bad day or something?

	Bruce

mgg @
 iceman .
 triad .
 com said:
> From: mgg @
 iceman .
 triad .
 com (Mark Galbraith) To: bobmhoon @
 onramp .
 net,
> postmaster @
 onramp .
 net Cc: postmaster @
 triad .
 com, postmaster @
 marvin .
 com,
>  postmaster @
 calypso .
 com,         postmaster @
 sb .
 com,
> list-managers @
 greatcircle .
 com Subject: Re: Returned mail: User
> unknown Organization: Triad Systems, Livermore CA X-phone: +1 510 449
> 0606 x6513 X-attribution: mgg

> 	(text/plain)   the signature hasn't been checked

> To the user 'bobmhoon @
 onramp .
 com':

> I strongly resent the fact that you would even try to find out what
> lists I maintain.  What makes you think that just because I maintain
> a list, it is there for you to use.  KEEP YOUR STINKING HANDS OFF MY
> MACHINE.

> I suggest that in the future you send a message to the postmaster at
> the sites you plan to probe, and *ASK PERMISSION TO USE THE LISTS*.
> Who knows, if you'd asked nicely I might have given you access to our
> public lists.  As it stands right now, "Suck rocks."

> To the postmaster @
 onramp .
 net:

> I realize that you have no direct control over your customers'
> actions. Please research this and give the customer involved an
> education on net-etiquette.  It might save you some trouble in the
> future.

> To the other postmasters affected:

> Please send your own complaint to the user/postmasters.  I've already
> covered the list-managers list, so you don't need to send more
> complaints there.  This type of intrusion on our privacy must be
> stopped.

> To the readers of list-managers:

> Here's a warning to the rest of you that this type of probe is
> happening.  If you have the ability to take steps to protect your
> site's privacy, now is the time for action.

> -- Mark Galbraith                          Senior UNIX Engineer/
> Postmaster PGP Key (E3468605) = 1C B9 74 81 AD 5C 57 09    69 0B AC
> 09 7F 65 D6 F6 "Those that give up essential liberty to obtain a
> little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --
> Benjamin Franklin (1773)

 triada .
 triad .
 com>
> writes:

> Mail>    ----- Transcript of session follows ----- Mail> 550
> majordomo @
 triad .
 com .
  .
  .
  User unknown

> Mail>    ----- Unsent message follows ----- Mail> Return-Path:
> <bobmhoon @
 onramp .
 net> Mail> Received: by triad.com (5.61/SMI-4.1)
> Mail> 	id AA18321; Thu, 5 Oct 95 09:30:06 -0700 Mail> Received: from
> mailhost.onramp.net by netcomsv.netcom.com with ESMTP (8.6.12/
> SMI-4.1) Mail> 	id NAA09429; Wed, 4 Oct 1995 13:04:54 -0700 Mail>
> mailhost.onramp.net (8.6.12/8.6.5) with SMTP id PAA26261; Wed, 4 Oct
> 1995 15:03:20 -0500 Mail> Message-Id: <199510042003 .
 PAA26261 @
 mailhost .

> onramp.net> Mail> X-Sender: bobmhoon @
 onramp .
 net Mail> X-Mailer:
> Windows Eudora Pro Version 2.1.2 Mail> Mime-Version: 1.0 Mail>
> 1995 14:47:25 -0500 Mail> To: majordomo @
 marvin .
 com,
> majordomo @
 calypso .
 com, majordomo @
 triad .
 com, Mail>
> majordomo @
 sb .
 com Mail> From: Dunhill Technology Search
> <bobmhoon @
 Onramp .

--
-- Attention Radio Amateurs: For information on "Linux for Hams",
-- read the WWW page http://www.hams.com/LinuxForHams,