Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1995)

Subject: Re: Further clarification
From: Bob Snyder <rsnyder @ janet . advsys . com>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 1995 23:08:52 -0400
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

mgg @
 iceman .
 triad .
 com said:
> I stand by my original intent.  There may be others out there who are
> concerned about this rude behavior of going after information without
> asking whether or not it's okay to do so.  As stated in my previous
> message, if the sender had asked ahead of time, I might have even
> given the information to him directly.  It's just a matter of good
> manners and common decency.

> You just don't take something that doesn't belong to you without
> asking permission first.  I don't allow my 5-year-old niece to do it,
> and I'm sure not going to tolerate it from an adult.

Errrr, so everyone who wants to send your majordomo a "lists" command needs to
ask you first? And how exactly are they suppose to divine your wishes?

They didn't take it without your permission. You put up a server that is
configured to provide exactly that information, on request, to anyone who asks.

It's like setting up a store, and getting upset if people don't knock before
entering.

Bob