Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1995)

Subject: Re: Heads up alert to mass e-mailing (spam)
From: hans @ mystery . muc . de (Hans Maurer)
Date: Wed, 11 Oct 1995 00:47:35 +0100
To: chris @ rivers . dra . hmg . gb
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM, firewalls-owner @ GreatCircle . COM, postmaster @ free . org, hans @ muc . de, postmaster @ nec . com, postmaster @ syl . dl . nec . com, postmaster @ hollyberry . com

Hello,

Christopher Samuel writes:
> Someone using ip61.abq-dialin.hollyberry.com at some unknown time
> (possibly Mon, 09 Oct 1995 04:15:12 +0100) mailed a message via a
> mail -> news gateway at mystery.muc.de to a whole host of newsgroups
> (some of which appear to be gated mailing lists), with an alleged
> From: line of SpAmKiNg @
 free .
 org .

I'm running a mail2news gateway that gates the NetBSD mailing lists to
Munichs's more or less local newsgroups muc.lists.netbsd.*. Since these
groups are moderated and the moderator's addresses are the mailing lists
themselves, "Spamking"'s article was not posted locally (at
hollyberry.com), but was forwarded to the portable-ppp mailing list, which
forwarded the article (besides others) to my site, where the article
finally got into the Usenet.

I changed the gateway configuration, so that Newsgroups headers in the
original mails are now ignored (I should have done that in the first
place, sorry).

I'm currently trying to get a copy of the original mail.

> It's also in the hope that someone there can find out who did it..

BTW: This spam has been posted in 11 articles to 365 newsgroups. "Spamking"
seems to be wellknown. Please refer to news.admin.net-abuse.* for more
information and discussion.

Sincerly,

  Hans

--
Hans Maurer                        hans .
 maurer @