Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1995)

Subject: what's the deal with nova.novanet.org?
From: rowe @ lepomis . psych . upenn . edu (Mickey Rowe)
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 1995 10:13:07 -0400
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

My apologies if this subject has already come up (I only receive this
list as a digest...), but I'm curious to know if anyone else is
noticing some extremely flaky behavior by nova.novanet.org.  I've
written to the postmaster at that site, but not heard anything in
response yet; I'd like to know if all the problems I'm having with
them are a rare fluke, or if they seriously need to be told to get
their act together.

So far as I can tell, the first of the novanet people to subscribe to
my list did so last Thursday.  By Sunday, two others had subscribed
and all three of them were bouncing mail with

    Recipient's mailbox too full to hold your e-mail.

error messages.  On Monday a fourth subscribed and similarly started
bouncing mail.  On Tuesday, a fifth person subscribed and the
*welcome* message bounced back to me with the same error message.
This morning, another person queried my host to find out what lists
exist here, and the response bounced back with a "NO SUCH USER" error.
On top of all of these shenanigans, when mail from my list bounces
from novanet, the bounce reports go back to the authors of original
messages instead of to either me or the list.  The list is managed
with listproc 6.0c, and although that behavior is not unheard of, it
is uncommon in my experience.

Is anybody else starting to feel inundated by problems from novanet,
or am I just really unlucky right now?

Thanks,

--
Mickey Rowe     (rowe @
 lepomis .

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: news-to-mail gateways and spam