Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1995)

Subject: Date problems
From: Info-LabVIEW List Maintainer <info-labview-request @ pica . army . mil>
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 95 13:48:48 EDT
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

A recurring problem I've had on my list is really getting to be a pain.

There are a number of mailers out there, seemingly all in Europe, for what
that's worth (probably not a whole lot) which will bounce mail which comes
without a Date: field in the header. I've poked thru RFC's at some length,
and haven't actually found a hard requirement that one be included, so I'm a
bit at a loss as to who to flame, er chastise.

I know that the Mac version of Eudora can (or used to) spit out mail without
Date, and I'm sure there is other software out there which does the same
thing.

My question: how to deal with this? I've sent msgs to my lists asking folks
to make sure their mailers are properly configured. The lists are technical
in nature, but that doesn't mean that these tech folks are internet or email
gurus. Are these sites improperly refusing mail? I know I can write a couple
lines in my .maildelivery (we use mmdf here) and trash the blasted things,
but I'm a bit leery of doing so for fear I'll bounce a msg I should read.

Your thoughts?

                  Tom Coradeschi, Info-LabVIEW List Maintainer
                      <info-labview-request @
 pica .
 army .
 mil>
          http://k-whiner.pica.army.mil/info-labview/info-labview.html

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Mailinglist spamming countermeasures