Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1995)

Subject: Re: an interesting "prank"...
From: arielle @ taronga . com (Stephanie da Silva)
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 1995 04:19:15 -0500 (CDT)
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Info-LabVIEW List Maintainer:

> Sent the user a note telling him/her (him is my guess) that the subscription
> had been cancelled and asking why the short turnaround,

I think shortest turnaround on my list (well one of them, I jsut started
up a second on a majordomo no less!) was about 2 hours.  I occasionally
get these, from people expecting something different from what the list
really is (it has a fairly tight focus).

> Now I gotta check the referring host on my form subscriptions
> to see if they come from the address in the From: field.

I've been taking the address out of the header only since very early on,
but because I discovered that people sometimes get their addresses wrong
when they type them in the message.  This can also have confusing side
effects, like a recent subscription I had who signed up from a different
account than he wanted the mail sent from.  He then sent me a series of
listserver commands (oh why can't people read the file I send them where
it clearly states I'm not a listserver *sigh*) and when I asked him to
stop, he told me he coudln't understand why I was sending him mail at that
account and not at the one he wanted to receive mail from!  I told him it
was because he was *writing* me from that account and I was just R)eplying
to his mail.  So why couldn't he have written me from the account where he
wanted the mail sent?  (I know I'm missing something here).
Bleh.

Indexed By Date Previous: Recommendation needed - MLM service provider for $'s