Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(October 1995)

From: "Henry W. Miller" <henrym @ sacto . mp . usbr . gov>
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 01:14:36 PST
To: scs @ lokkur . dexter . mi . us
Cc: list-managers @ greatcircle . com, henrym @ sacto . mp . usbr . gov

> From:	MX%"scs @
 lokkur .
 dexter .
 mi .
 us" 25-OCT-1995 21:59:55.77
> Subj:	Re: Mailinglist spamming countermeasures

> Paul Vixie, keeper of the bind list and others, took an interesting
> approach to spamming.  He notified the list members of his actions with
> the following note:

> In case anyone wonders, my reply was as follows:
>
> |[gw.home:i386] sendfax -d 'Spam King @
 +1 .
 718 .
 967 .
 1550' -D -R
> |Mass marketing on Internet bears a heavy cost.  You are evidently unaware
> |that my mailing list has a fixed charge of US$1,000.00 per unsolicited
> |off-topic posting.  You may indicate your willingness to pay that rate by
> |sending another unsolicited off-topic posting to any of the mailing lists
> |run from my host.
> |
> |Paul Vixie
> |FAX +1 415 747 0106
> |request id is 89 (group id 170) for host gw (1 file)
>
> I want my internet back.
>
> Paul ("Trapped In A World He Never Made") Vixie
> --
> Paul Vixie
> La Honda, CA                    "Illegitimibus non carborundum."
> <paul @
 vix .
 com>
> pacbell!vixie!paul

> I strongly approve, and am adopting this policy for my own lists.
>
> Steve
> --
> ` . . . I'm a sysadmin, with an admitted preference for things I can
> reboot over things I have to negotiate with . . . '
> 		Mike Shaver (shaver @
 neon .
 ingenia .
 com)

	Unfortunately, most of the spammers will just laugh in our
faces and keep on doing it.  I did send one spammer to one of my
lists a notice that it required me 1.5 hours to clean up the mess
his spam left on my system, and what address should I bill it to,
and what method of payment was he going to use.  But, AOL killed
the account before that message got through...

-HWM

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: an interesting "prank"...