Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1998)

Subject: Re: the unidirectionality of AOL Mail Controls
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Sun, 1 Feb 1998 12:26:05 -0800
To: dattier @ wwa . com (David W. Tamkin), list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 9:43 PM -0800 1/31/98, David W. Tamkin wrote:

> It would be overkill if the AOL user always noticed, read, understood, and
> considered the warning.

Not just a problem with AOL users, unfortunately. I just had to send a
person to the instructions FOUR TIMES, getting more specific every
time, to answer his "how do I sign up for digests" question. ("it's not
there!" "Yes it is, I wrote it!"). After "look for the paragraph
starting iwth "to sign up with digests,....", he wrote back and
apologized for being dense.... Well meaning, but thought he knew what
he was looking for and didn't.

But I put it in there because it's a lot easier/faster to point someone
at something that already exists than to answer it multiple times
individually. And it helps avoid arguments over subjective rule making
with the few folks who do that sort of stuff.

Frankly, if I don't tell them, it's my fault. If they don't pay
attention to what I tell them, it's not. And I don't feel terribly bad
pointing that out to someone if necessary.

--
         Chuq Von Rospach (chuq @
 apple .

 Plaidworks Consulting (chuqui @
 plaidworks .
 com) <http://www.plaidworks.com/>
   (<http://www.plaidworks.com/hockey/> +-+ The home for Hockey on the net)

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: postmaster @ aol . com has not helped lately.
Next: Re: hosting services info needed again
Next: Re: hosting services info needed again
From: Marc Mead <mmead @ revnet . com>