Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1998)

Subject: Re: Poll/Voting Facility (fwd)
From: marilyn @ deliberate . com (Marilyn Davis)
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 10:44:56 -0800 (PST)
To: aaron+lm @ schrab . com (Aaron Schrab)
Cc: marilyn @ deliberate . com, list-managers @ greatcircle . com, development @ deliberate . com

Aaron,

> be trusted again.  If the program runs as a dedicated user (which could
> be set up so that no password will allow access to the account), a hole

A ha!  I didn't know about this.  I'll fix it up.

> only allows access to the voting data, so the consequences of a break in
> are much smaller.

But honestly, the code itself is good.  I may not know so much about
security but I know a lot about serving data.

As I understand you, this fixes the machine's security, which admittedly
is of less concern to me than vote security.

Of course we haven't spoken yet about vote security.
                                       *
Marilyn                               *
                                     *
                                    *
Marilyn Davis, Ph.D.-------------- * ---- eVote - online polling
|                                 *       software for email lists:
3790 El Camino Real, #147  *     *        eVote-info @
 deliberate .
 com
Palo Alto, CA 94306 USA     *   *
(650) 493-3631 ------------- * * -------- marilyn @
 deliberate .
 com -------
                              *           http://www.deliberate.com

> --
> Aaron Schrab     aaron @
 schrab .
 com      http://www.execpc.com/~aarons/
>  A Linux machine! because a 486 is a terrible thing to waste!
>     -- Joe Sloan <jjs @
 wintermute .
 ucr .
 edu>