Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1998)

Subject: Re: Ever Been Sued?
From: murr rhame <murr @ vnet . net>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 1998 19:24:04 -0500 (EST)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Mitchell Leben wrote:

> OK, so you block all of juno. Now the twit goes to get an account at
> yahoo (or the many other free web based email sites). Now what? Same
> twit, different domain, and no way to know exactly who it is. Sure
> you can block yahoo, but where does it end?
>
> This is a real problem, one with no real solution that I can think
> of.

There are several solutions:

1. Systematically freeze out all of the domains which provide free
   email accounts.

2. Punt the individual offenders as soon as they make a bad post.

3. Moderate all posts or only moderate the first half dozen or so
   posts from each new subscriber.

4. Require an application from new subscribers.  Ask for real name,
   phone number and occupation.  Ask a few simple questions which
   demonstrate an interest or possibly their skill level in the list
   topic.

I use an application for one of my lists.  IMHO, a simple application
can be very effective.

- murr -