Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1998)

Subject: Re: Free Mailbox Abuse [Was: Ever Been Sued?]
From: murr rhame <murr @ vnet . net>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 11:12:25 -0500 (EST)
To: Terry Knab <tknab @ nyx . net>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Fri, 13 Feb 1998, Terry Knab wrote:

> I'm one of the administrators of nyx.net (a free type ISP in
> Denver).  We don't we have this problem.  Why may you ask?  Simple.
> If you want an account with us, you have to send in a copy of your
> ID (Driver's license, etc..) in order to get a fully working
> account...

<snip>

Your registration method sounds good to me.  I stand corrected.  There
is hope for free mail box servers if they use a similar registration
technique.  Raising the price of opening an account to the the cost of
a photocopy and a postage stamp is a major improvement over
instant-access, electronic registration.  I am impressed with your
efforts to curtail mail box abuse.  I hope that others will follow
your lead.

- murr -