Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1998)

Subject: Re: "We do not relay" errors
From: murr rhame <murr @ vnet . net>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 07:58:23 -0500 (EST)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On 13 Feb 1998, Jason L Tibbitts III wrote:

> OK, I'm quite happy that sites are tightening up on relaying.  But
> it seems that some sites go a little to far.  Lately I've been
> receiving a large number (well, nearly 50% by volume) of bounces
> from various sites telling me that they don't relay.  Well, that's
> great, but the address I'm trying to deliver to is almost always
> right there in their domain, sometimes even on the same machine.

The "we do not relay" error may be because your home site has been
filtered by the target site or vice versa.  I noticed that you are
posting from an edu site.  I've seen plenty a spam relayed through
various edu sites.  If your postmaster did not block the relay spam
in a timely manner, other sites may have put your site in their
filter.

Send an individual email directly from your personal account to one of
your subscribers who gets the "we don't relay" bounce.  If you get the
same error as you get from a list distribution, your site has been
filtered by them or they have been filtered your site.  Note that the
filter error looks very similar if the site your are trying to send
mail to has been filtered by your local postmaster.  Read the complete
bounce message carefully to determine which system sent it.

- murr -