Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1998)

From: "Michael C. Berch" <mcb @ postmodern . com>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 12:51:25 -0800
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM
Cc: bish @ azstarnet . com

Bob Bish wrote:
>    One IS needed just for listowners.  I've been on quite a few
> without finding the types of discussions I'm looking for:
>
> majordomo-users:  For those who run majordomo on servers.
>
> majordomo-workers:  For those concerned with developing the
> majordomo software.
>
> list-managers:  Does NOT allow discussion of specific software.
> Someone was recently chastised on this list for asking a majordomo
> question.  What the hell good is that?
>
>    I manage a few majordomo mailing lists, but don't run a server and
> I'm not involved in re-writing majordomo.  None of the above lists
> apply.  I've seriously considered starting such a list myself.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean about the majordomo-users list.
It is very definitely for listowners who have Majordomo-based lists, whether
or not they are the site admin and/or run the server themselves.  I don't know
how long you subscribed for, but the typical question on majordomo-users
is something like "How do I do ___?" where "____" is often "make a closed
list", "require confirmation for subscriptions", "block out a particular
domain", "filter out spam", etc.   Those are listowner question, no?

There are also a number of software/server-based issues, like how to set up
Majordomo, and the nature of a number of (somewhat cryptic) error messages
from sendmail, etc., but they're typically no more than half the traffic.

Historically, at the time the lists were set up, the vast majority of
Majordomo list owners were also site admins who installed and maintained the
software themselves.  I don't know if this is still true, but it is hard to
draw a firm distinction between listowner issues and site/server issues when
it comes to Majordomo.

As for not discussing specific list server software issues on list-managers,
that's a long-time rule, and a courtesy for those who do not run the package
involved.  List-managers' readership is split among the users of a number of
packages (as well as those who administer their lists manually), and low-level
technical questions about particular packages just aren't appropriate here.

--
Michael C. Berch
list-manager for list-managers and the majordomo-{users|workers} lists