Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 1998)

Subject: Fake-ID
From: "Siamak Farah" <sia @ infostreet . com>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 19:37:10 -0800
To: <list-managers @ greatcircle . com>
Cc: "siamak" <sia @ infostreet . com>

A client of mine asked:

One question, is there a security feature that checks that only I can send
email to it? I will be sending from Eudora alias XYZ @
 XYZ .
 COM .
  .
  .
  .
  what is
stopping somebody else from configuring the same way and also sending?

The only thing I could think of, was to have the authorized sender be a
secret email address and have all the email go out as XYZ @
 XYZ .
 COM .
  So, if
someone fakes, we would get a bounce message.

Any thoughts on this?

Siamak Farah

Follow-Ups:
  • Re: Fake-ID