Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 1999)

Subject: Re: Un$ubscribe Requests
From: murr rhame <murr @ vnet . net>
Date: Mon, 4 Jan 1999 18:12:33 -0500 (EST)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

I figured that I was going to take some heat for my "punt at first
site" policy, particularly when I added the "no better than a common
spammer" bit.  I don't show them the exit only because I don't want to
send trash their mail box.  I'm also protecting my list from noise and
conserving my personal time.  I'm amused by the admins who have all
the time in the world to conduct private email flame wars while
attempting to force the clueless to un$ubscribe themselves...

Quick-punting takes the least time.  If someone wants to waste their
efforts trying to educate and or punish the clueless, press on.  I've
got better things to do.  Un$ubscribing folks on request consumes only
a tiny fraction of my admin time.  If you don't have enough time to
un$ubscribe the clue impaired, do you really have enough time to
properly administer a mailing list?  I doubt it.  Get an assistant
admin or two if you need help.  Relax.  Stop doing things the hard
way.

- murr -