Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 1999)

Subject: Re: Un$ubscribe Requests
From: Tim Bowden <tcbowden @ clovis . nerdnosh . org>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 99 07:18:24 PST
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @
 plaidworks .
 com> writes:

> Try running a mailing list with a few hundred thousand net-naive
> users. They're not too dumb. They may not be experienced, but they're
> not dumb. I have to say that blaming the users is use as
> tunnel-visioned as Murr's whitewash of administrators that don't
> match up with his personal values. Both are overly simplistic and
> don't match reality very well.

Do you administer IQ tests to your "few hundred thousand" users?  To
those who come over to my lists?  Do you know what they say about the
intelligence of any animal which is given the tools and yet cannot
perform a simple task up to borderline low standard?

The term "dumb" is a release-valve pejorative.  When John Madden says
ol' Gomer Blycnik pulled a really dumb move in kicking his opponent
after the whistle, he is making no final judgment about the man's
intelligence.  Likewise, I readily admit the few lusers who flail in my
region (I have the Reply-To: set to the owner's account so I don't have
to pick out the inevitable "hey d00d get me outta hear!"s) may know
something about D&D or scifi mags which requires a bit of application.
Yet in the one area that counts, the one that intersects with my own
transit, thus the only encounter I shall (I hope) ever have with them,
they are dumb as slugs.  They have the clues, yet they remain clueless.
For all intents and purposes, they are dumb, and a listowner had best
proceed on that basis.

mailto:tcbowden @
 clovis .
 nerdnosh .