Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 1999)

Subject: Re: Un$ubscribe Requests
From: Tim Bowden <tcbowden @ clovis . nerdnosh . org>
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 99 11:52:40 PST
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

murr rhame <murr @
 vnet .
 net> writes:

> I am proud of you.  How many times have you successfully trained a
> luser?

Ah, here's the essence, right here.

Ann Landers years ago gave an answer to a question about the pesky
panhandler.  She said, were I panhandled, I should take the
gentleman to the nearest restaurant, pay the mai-tre d', and thus
insure the gentleman did not use my contribution for drugs.
She was serious.

I'm seeing here a possible evidence of Liftoff Liberalism.  I can't
diagnose it yet, but I smell it.  This is the type of fly-over
functionary who has noble intentions and honorable mentions - and
he also ain't down in the dirty.

I can't make a living hosting a free forum, so I have to do something
else most days.  I wonder how someone who has thousands and thousands
of visiters to their well-kept plantations can take the time and
spend the energy educating all the lost, lorn lusers who pass his
way?  And, again, what are the results?  Roses and sunshine and
a bounce in the Net IQ of twenty points?

I think someone without direct hands-on duties may perhaps be promoting
ideals instead of publishing history.  Polemics and platitudes in place
of performance.  I don't know, but I suspect strongly.

mailto:tcbowden @
 clovis .
 nerdnosh .
 org (Tim Bowden)