Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 1999)

Subject: Re: Un$ubscribe Requests
From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk @ gsp . org>
Date: Wed, 6 Jan 1999 06:54:11 -0500
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Tue, Jan 05, 1999 at 08:50:24AM -0500, murr rhame wrote:
> If a luser trashes your list or commits some other major offense out
> of the blue, so be it.  Take the matter up with their sysadmin.  On
> the other hand, bating a newbie into a flame war which results in
> getting his account yanked is not my idea of a worthwhile endeavor.

I don't bait people into flame wars because (a) I have better
things to do with my time and (b) it's not fair.

> Apparently, some of you presume that I do nothing to help people
> un$ubscribe themselves.

I presume nothing; I simply take what you have written here at
face value, and no more.

> I am doing the right thing for my lists.  I'm also saving everyone
> involved a lot of grief.

I don't think that's true.  I think you are simply postponing and
shifting the grief, because the errant subscriber will do it again,
inflicting the problem on other lists and other list managers.

> You are at liberty to do what you believe is
> right for your lists.  I you want to argue with brain-dead $ubscribers
> and attempt to train them, be my guest.  You may win a few converts.

Do I "want to"?  No.  I'm a busy person.  So I don't "argue", per se.
But I have a larger view than just my few lists, so I try to (as I said)
to educate when possible and punish when necessary in order to solve the
problem (subscriber ignorance) at the place and time when it manifests
itself, instead of taking your approach, which is to bury it under
the carpet and leave it for someone else to deal with.

---Rsk
Rich Kulawiec
rsk @
 gsp .