Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 1999)

Subject: Re: aliases and leave requests
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 21:09:49 -0800
To: "Tom Neff" <tneff @ panix . com>, <List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

At 8:33 AM -0500 1/4/99, Tom Neff wrote:

It may be a bit lame to insist on a CB-type "handle" as your alias, but I do
know people who don't want their real identities visible on the Net for
legitimate reasons.

Fine. Go get a hotmail account, and use that to read/post to the list. There's absolutely no reason you have to, as a list admin, make special dispensation to someone to keep their ID private. They can do that themselves. In fact, they do, without telling you in the first place.

Now, having said that, my policy is simple -- my subscription lists are private and avaialble to nobody. Which means nobody will know you're on the list until you post on the list and say so, because I and none of my other admins will give out that information. But if you want to post anonymously, then go get a hotmail or juno or yahoo, or.... (name any of a dozen remailers) account and use that.

Of course, if I catch someone doing that and shilling for something, that's a different fight, and one the person involved won't like. There's nothing quite so slimy in my mind as someone who hides their identity to flog an agenda of some sort, where if it was known who was doing it their attachment to that agenda would be known.

alias.  Then you decide to join the Begonia Growers list so your wife can
download growing tips, and some little tinpot listserv autocrat tells you
"We insist on real names only here on Begonia Growers!" :)

Fine. so make up a name, attach it to your hotmail account, and give it to the admin. If necessary, hack your voicemail with the fake name and have him call your phone number to verify it. It's false security, folks. (actually, if I were admin, I don't care who your name is. I care that I can actually track you down if I need to through your admins, which is why I allow hotmail postings and not juno postings or anonymous remailer postings. But if I did insist on real names, I can't see a case like Chelsea where I wouldn't in a blink approve a fake ID in this case. But honestly, that I'll make an exception for this doesn't mean a thing. 90% or more of the "demands" for this are bogus, and the primary uses of these "tools" are to flame, troll and abuse.

--
Chuq Von Rospach (Hockey fan? <http://www.plaidworks.com/hockey/>)
Apple Mail List Gnome (mailto:chuq @

Featuring Winslow Leach at the Piano!