Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 1999)

Subject: Re: Anonymity
From: murr rhame <murr @ vnet . net>
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 08:57:29 -0500 (EST)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

Assuming a list admin doesn't formally investigate the identity of
every subscriber, in most cases it would be fairly easy to $ubscribe
anonymously.  I'll wager that on typical lists, anyone who offers a
plausible real name would be admitted.  Rather than choosing a
conspicuous handle like "Captain Zork" you can just as easily choose a
a more realistic alias like "Fred Harrison" or "Jane Stokes".

I'm sure there are a few lists which require confirmed identities.
For typical mailing lists, it's fairly easy to obtain some masking of
you true identity.  In some cases, real names can raise an eyebrow.
For example, my real name is John Murr Rhame, Jr.  I go by Murr both
off line and on the net.  Didn't make it up.  Murr is on my birth
certificate.

- murr -