Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 1999)

From: Cyndi Norman <cnorman @ best . com>
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 21:49:12 -0800 (PST)
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM, cnorman @ best . com

   Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 12:53:47 -0500
   From: Vince Sabio <vince @
 humournet .
 com>

   ** Sometime around 00:56 -0500 01/09/99, Chuq Von Rospach sent everyone:
   >This is why I ask for copies of the errors. It's a way of forcing
   >them to actually DO it, without actually having to point out I keep logs

   Yes, I have [long ago] found the same thing. I usually include something
   to the effect that "if there is a problem, I really need to know about it
   so I can fix it" (yeah, like Lyris suddenly stopped recognizing the word
   "unsubscribe"). I usually receive one of two responses to that request:

   1. "Hey, waddya know -- it worked this time!"
   2. <dead air> (but with a successful unsubscribe)

   It's much more effective (and productive) than telling the person that he
   never submitted a request. Seems to work like a charm.

Well I must have a different subscriber base from you all cause when I ask
for copies of the attempts, or what the server gave back for the attempt, I
get them.  In fact, I can't think of a time when I asked for one and got
back a response that showed they didn't bother trying.  I even get them
without asking (it's in the info file and other notes).  Thinking about
this...yes, I've had people who didn't make an attempt, but then their
requests for help always say that ("I don't know where to start").

Mind you, most of the attempts were ones that proved they didn't bother to
read the directions, regardless of having successfully subscribed as
recently as a few days earlier.  Occaisionally it's even the server's fault.

Though, as I've said, my lists are for disabled people whose symptoms
include temporary cognitive dysfunction, severe fatigue, "brain fog," and
etc.  So I cut them some extra slack.  Well, not too much if they didn't
even *try* to read the directions.

Cyndi

"There's nothing wrong with me.  Maybe there's                     Cyndi Norman
something wrong with the universe." (ST:TNG)           cyndi @
 consultclarity .
 com
                                                 http://www.consultclarity.com/