Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 1999)

Subject: Re: Correct setup
From: murr rhame <murr @ vnet . net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 08:24:48 -0500 (EST)
To: Mika Tuupola <tuupola @ appelsiini . net>
Cc: list-managers @ honor . greatcircle . com

On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Mika Tuupola wrote:

> On Sun, 24 Jan 1999, Lazlo Nibble wrote:
>
> > It may be the default in the 1.94.4 distribution but that doesn't
> > mean it's the correct setting *now*, sixteen months after that
>
> "Correct"? Like mentioned in RFC or something? There is not such
> thing as correct setupt. Everyone configures their software to
> suit their own taste and needs.

There is no RFC or similar rule for concealing $ubscriber lists.  On
the other hand, leaving all of your $ubscriber lists open to public
query effectively aids and promotes spam.  I know that spammers have
many other techniques for collecting addresses.  I'll be damned if I'm
going to politely hand over every $ubscriber address, server wide.
Individual mailing lists may choose to have open $ubscriber data if
they wish.  Open $ubscriber info is not uncommon for small private
lists.  In my humble opinion, setting up an entire list server for
open $ubscriber list inquiries is foolhardy at best.

- murr -