Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 1999)

Subject: Re: Egroups
From: murr rhame <murr @ vnet . net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 20:38:49 -0500 (EST)
To: Stephanie da Silva <arielle @ Taronga . COM>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Wed, 27 Jan 1999, Stephanie da Silva wrote:

> Is egroups encouraging their listowners to spam?
>

> Their FAQ on promoting lists says this:
>
> Promoting Your E-Mail Group
>
> Here are our top tips on how to increase membership in your e-mail group:
> [...]
> Post to Newsgroups. Invite subscriptions, when appropriate, in
> Usenet groups or e-mail lists. Be careful! Invitations can be
> considered spam if not "on topic" or without respect to the
> policies of each group. You can also invite individual posters
> based on their specific message topics.

As written, I wouldn't call this spam.  For example, I run a mailing
list for special effects.  I take no offense when people announce
related mailing lists on topics such as theatre control systems,
stagecraft, film making, etc.  I'd get ticked if the announcement was
huge or if it were posted too often.  In general, modest announcements
of other forums which closely relate to the topic are fine with me.
I don't post to usenet at all anymore.  At one time, I did post some
announcements about my special effects list in a few closely related
newsgroups.  Was I spamming?  I don't think so.

- murr -

Follow-Ups:
  • Re: Egroups