Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 1999)

Subject: ListZone (was Re: Egroups
From: Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @ plaidworks . com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 1999 21:55:42 -0800
To: arielle @ Taronga . COM (Stephanie da Silva)
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On a related front, anyone else find out that they've magically had their lists added to something called ListZone? (see bottom of this message for one of many I got).

First, Stephanie, I'm guessing, and I think it's a good guess, that they're setting thigns up by taking PAML and typing it into their databases. did they ask permission?

Anyway, these people honked me off on any number of levels. First, they didn't offer me their service, they simply put me in their service and then told me to come fix any typoes. Well, the FIRST list they mailed me about has been dead about a year. The second one I checked, and there were significant typos in the dataset. And much of the site is password protected and many of the links don't work, so I can't find out who these people are and what their hack is.

Anyway, i've written them and told them to take all of my lists out -- they can't get the data right, and they didn't ask first, and that's enough for me to say "no, thanks". So far, they've ignored that request, so I'm probably going to send a formal cease and desist soon (I'll give them another week).

anyone else lucky enough to be offered this service? Were your entries right?

Sheesh. Anyway, be warned we seem to have another wonderful list-index service doing things for you, with or without you actually knowing it.

---
Hi Chuq,

We have selected your Pit-Penguins mailing list for
the Internet's new premier mailing list portal, The List Zone.
Our mission is to improve the experience for both list administrators
and subscribers through an innovative new web-based service which
will be launching shortly.

We would appreciate your assistance in helping us categorize
Pit-Penguins.  We have created a web page for you at
the following URL:

http://ynterweb.com/shellcgi/lzupdate.pl?listID=3067&listName=Pit%2dPenguins

Please visit this link to ensure that we have accurately
described your list.  You can correct and add to descriptions
by simply entering them into the form at the link above.

Thanks again for your time and help.  We would appreciate
any feedback on how we can serve you and your subscribers better!

Best Regards,

Peter McColgan
Director
List Owner Relations