Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 1999)

Subject: Re: Prices for advertising.
From: Tim Bowden <tcbowden @ clovis . nerdnosh . org>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 99 11:08:16 PST
To: List-Managers @ greatcircle . com

"Anthony J. Albert" <albert @
 polaris .
 umpi .
 maine .
 edu> writes:

> Well, the little I know about running a publishing business says
> that you should at least try to cover your costs from your
> advertisers.  So, figure out what you spend on this newsletter, per
> month, and then divide that by the number of advertisers, to find out
> how much to charge them.

I don't believe that model governs online.  It's probably still how
plastics and potatoes are marketed, editing in the demand and volume of
the product, but the big factor is simply how much folks are willing to
pay, as determined by how much others are able to command.  Advertisers
pay Newsweek and Elle not based upon how much it costs to bring those
books to the rack, but on how many readers they can deliver.

Were I to guess without going back to calculate what we've paid for
online ads in mailing lists, I'd peg the going rate at about $100 per
issue per 10,000 subscribers.

mailto:tcbowden @
 clovis .
 nerdnosh .