Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(January 1999)

Subject: Re: AOL is horribly broken this morning
From: Rich Kulawiec <rsk @ gsp . org>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 09:29:58 -0500
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

>   AppliedTheory [our network provider] has worked with Sprint [Applied
>   Theory's network provider] overnight on the issue,
>   as AT did not have a route to AOL networks on our backbone.  Sprint
>   informed AT that AOL is making software and routing changes on
>   their network.  This is causing significant changes in how Sprint
>   and AppliedTheory are receiving the routes to AOL and ICQ.

This appears to have no relationship to the problem that I (and others)
experienced.  The information I provided clearly shows that mail was
received by AOL's mail server(s), and clearly shows that it was returned,
thus indicating a functional, if not optimal/robust network path.

It's pretty obvious that AOL broke their mail servers; I'm waiting to
see if they acknowledge their error and provide an explanation for it.

---Rsk
Rich Kulawiec
rsk @
 gsp .