Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 2001)

Subject: Re: What happened?
From: Charlie Summers <charlie @ lofcom . com>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 09:54:47 -0500
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM

At 4:00 AM -0500 2/8/01, chuqui @
 plaidworks .
 com is rumored to have typed:

> So it's the same 12 old
> pharts (myself included) who occasionally wake up from the mid-afternoon nap
> to re-enact last Tuesday's argument again.

   Interestingly put, as the best example of a series of messages all
suggesting the same thing. So you are all telling me this is _not_ where I
should be. Ok, anyone have a pointer to where I _should_ be?

   I usually wait longer than a week and a half to post, but here's the deal;
I've been running mailing list servers for a lot of years, and subscribe to
the support list of the server-du-jour (I'm currently using SmartList because
I cannot _stand_ majordomo and cannot _afford_ listproc; I am looking a bit
at mailman, though), but never bothered to join any admin-centric list. I
learned initially how to be an admin by excellent example (I've been on some
Internet mailing lists since I used a bitnet gateway to pull them into a
college office on a Macintosh Plus) and error (my first lists were run
without requiring subscription confirmation as the Net commercialized; there
are bunches of others, but this was by far the worst).

   But with current trends on the Net, like eGroups and Topica turning anyone
with a WebTV into list "admins" (sorry, kids, I don't consider them
administrators any more than I consider a child a CEO just because he sits in
his daddy's big chair), control-panel software that hosting companies are
giving their customers that serves no purpose but to _keep_ them completely
clueless, and companies like AOL 6.0 and MSN Companion not just defaulting
but _forcing_ HTML-based email without giving their users a choice (causing
ugly digests, rejected messages, subscriber heartache, and even a hard look
at demime), a "real" list admin is facing challenges that have never been
seen before. And it's apparent to me that only by concerted and concentrated
effort do "real" list admins stand a chance of dealing with these issues, so
I decided to seek out a list specifically for administrators; that's how I
found this list, written about so respectfully in various places on the Net
as one of the oldest and best. I wondered why things have been so light
(three digest issues since 30 Jan)...now I know.

   Since it's apparent from the messages in the last digest issue that I'm
regrettably in the wrong place, any chance someone clueful might point me in
the right direction and tell me where I might find a list that _can_ help
real list admins deal with the many modern challenges facing us?

         Charlie Summers

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Re: What happened?