Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 2001)

Subject: Re: What happened?
From: J C Lawrence <claw @ kanga . nu>
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2001 09:10:04 -0800
To: murr rhame <murr @ vnet . net>
Cc: "'list-managers @ greatcircle . com'" <list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

On Wed, 7 Feb 2001 21:53:46 -0500 (EST)
murr rhame <murr @
 vnet .
 net> wrote:

> On Wed, 7 Feb 2001, Sarah Standiford wrote:

> Why so much pessimism about new and unskilled list admins?  We all
> had to learn the ropes once.  I don't begrudge anyone who's
> willing to try...  I've helped start about a half dozen spin-offs
> from one list that I run.  In my humble opinion, small specialty
> topics are one of the things mailing lists handle very well.

I agree -- mailing list are especially well suited to SIGs.

However historically list moderators tended to be people with
Internet clue who were already accustomed to the RFC/research
process and the ideas of collaborative standards development.  That
majority demographic is long gone and the new population does not
have the same expectations.

--
J C Lawrence                                       claw @
 kanga .