Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 2001)

Subject: Re: What happened?
From: Cyndi Norman <cnorman @ best . com>
Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 13:27:40 -0800 (PST)
To: List-Managers @ GreatCircle . COM
Cc: cnorman @ best . com

   Date: Thu, 8 Feb 2001 11:58:31 -0500 (EST)
   From: murr rhame <murr @
 vnet .
 net>

   The list-moderators list at www.list-moderators.com is still
   pretty good.  It has an active list admin and a fair number of
   experienced list wranglers are $ubscribed...  It does get noise
   from people seeking tech support for eGroups.  Otherwise, I enjoy
   it.

Thanks for the tip.  I just joined.

I like Michael and this list but it used to meet my needs more than it does
now.  I've been a member for years.  We used to talk more about list owner
policy issues.  I've posted several times on that topic to get discussion
going (and to get advice) and not much has come from it, though I did get
some good replies.

There is a need for lists that discuss the tech end of mailing list
software (a step removed from the software itself), but I don't do that
myself, so...  And, unfortunately, a lot of topics on this list start off
interesting and degrade into flame wars (which may be interesting to some,
but not to me).

The one topic I find myself interested in now is majordomo.  When bestserv
went belly up last fall I ended up on a friend's server running md.  I know
that every time someone posts md questions here, others refer them instead
to a md list.  Of course I never saved the address because I wasn't using
md then.

Could someone please point me to the md list?  If there's more than one,
I'm looking for a place where I can ask questions like "how do I get the
author's name or email to appear in the list of posts in a digest header
along with the subject lines?"  And more technical questions to pass on to
my friend who is new to md as well, like "I get an endless loop when I use
a forward from my domain to the real list address; I can remove it on a
moderated list no problem but how do I get it to work on an unmoderated
one?"

(Of course, if anyone wants to answer the questions above, please feel
free!)

Thanks,
Cyndi

"There's nothing wrong with me.  Maybe there's                     Cyndi Norman
something wrong with the universe." (ST:TNG)           cyndi @
 consultclarity .
 com
                                                         http://www.tikvah.com/