Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 2001)

Subject: Re: how to make mail lists scale well
From: Tim Bowden <tcbowden @ clovis . nerdnosh . org>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 01 08:01:01 PST
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Norbert Bollow <nb @
 thinkcoach .
 com> writes:

> Do you have ideas for addressing the scaling problems of large
> mailing lists?

I would love some of those problems.  I promise I will share and
commisserate totally with all who face those many onerous troubles if
you will but point me the way to achieve this large mailing list!  To
me, it sounds like how the boys around the Club complain of the many
slinks and errors great wealth be heir to.  "Oh, the taxes..."

> I've been thinking about this a lot, and the best idea that I've
> come up with is to use an edited ezine format for internet-based
> conversations that are intended to attract many participants.

Good idea.  A lot of problems go away when the listowner can
edit before production.

Also, here's another discovery of ours which may not be universal.
The best inducement to doing right is having a lot of it about.
When NerdNosh was new and sloppy, all new members contributed
to the slop.  When we grew into a nest of accomplished writers
who could play the game and play it well, then the fledglings
endeavored to join this august troupe and are ever on their
best behavior.

Look at this very forum here.  There are lots of experts with
very sage advice, some of them a mite captious, and as a
consequence I am the only one who regularly acts the complete fool.

	       tcbowden @
 nerdnosh .
 org (Tim Bowden)
	   "The reason you can never go home again
	  is because you can never leave." - Timocrates