Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 2001)

Subject: Re: List(people) Management
From: Tim Bowden <tcbowden @ clovis . nerdnosh . org>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 01 17:58:02 PST
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Janet Detter Margul <janet @
 dm .
 net> writes:

> How do you keep the 20 list members who post 90 percent of the posts
> from becoming the list royalty clique?

One sure advantage of the mailing list to the lecture hall is certainly
the non-linear confab possibilities.  No one can really complain that
someone is monopolizing an online discussion unless others are somehow
excluded.  If everybody has the same opportunity to chime in, then if
I'm not having my fair share of spiel it's only my own fault.

I do operate one small quick-time discussion group, but the troubles I
see here and elsewhere tend not to occur there, because the group is
more or less familiar with one another and they are there because of a
certain commitment to the central project.  It ain't just anybody in the
world interested in gardening.

I haven't seen anything of the overquoter here yet, but I have them,
and, you know, the chief offenders are not the fledglings at all.  One
guy has been around for years and he just lazily clicks his replies
(many times, "You bet!") and trails the entire past discussion behind
him.  He isn't susceptible to reason.   If it bothered me a degree more,
I'd have to spend time correcting it.  I don't know how.  Running
frequent "Button Up Your Overquote" announcements?  The other overquoter
is a Silicone Valley software engineer long past the average age over
there.  I expect he won't grow out of it.

	       tcbowden @
 nerdnosh .
 org (Tim Bowden)
	"Readers meeting Writers as the Sea the Very Sky"
  Send: subscribe nerdnosh   To:  majordomo @
 story .
 nerdnosh .
 org

Indexed By Date Previous: Re: how to make mail lists scale well