Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 2001)

Subject: Re: how to make mail lists scale well
From: Tim Bowden <tcbowden @ clovis . nerdnosh . org>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 01 15:38:16 PST
To: list-managers @ greatcircle . com

Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui @
 plaidworks .
 com> writes:

> (Digests are NOT the answer. Digests simply mean you have the same
> volume of mail delivered once a week by UPS in a big box instead of once
> a day by the postman -- and all digests do is limit the rate of
> interruption and encourage you to scan the mail standing over the
> trashcan. It'd be better ot find a way to not have the stuff you don't
> want left undelivered in the first place...)

Here's that perspective trap again, I do believe.  Here's how it works.
My concern is for the forum itself.  When I say, I can fix these
problems, because I simply don't allow them to escape me, what's my
perspective?  Right, the list.

We don't do ads, chat, or poetry, none of the really bad online habits,
and the result of my digest schedule is, that don't happen.  Nobody sees
any of that garbage, so nobody thinks garbage, and that means
eventually, over the years, the crap stops happening.  I myself am
surprised at how much less chaff comes through now as opposed to back
when we were a fraction of our size yet running straight out
spontaneously on anybody's whim.

Whereas I do believe the viewpoint of Chuq is his own, is him,
standing over by the dumpster with the bundle from UPS.  First,
if he spends the time, the forum is the better for it, second,
if the forum blossoms, it carries its own inertia, which means
very definitely he will need not a dumpster but a small trash
can for bilge.

Before we went to digest, I had to swat away all sorts of
garbage, from re-sends to fiction attempts to chat.  That
doesn't happen anymore.  It doesn't happen because there is
a certain quality that runs out each night and even the
broily boys either attempt to stretch and join us or they
fly away where they are more welcome.  They have not the
example of a single other like themselves cavorting before
the crowd.  That makes a difference.

This cannot work for a chat list, I fully recognize.  Those sorts
need the give-and-take of actual conversation.  Heidi has a new
idea for a whump-stitch she'd like to know about with the
grandkids coming, she can't wait 48 hours for a possible
reply.  A digest - well, it's like the Bard says:

			What is love?
			'Tis not hereafter.
			Present mirth hath present laughter.
			- Twelth Night, I think

> The difference between reading the slush pile and reading the magazine. If
> you have the resource, you can do a LOT through active editing. But you're
> trading off man-hours and timeliness, and you succeed only as well as your
> reader's vision of what's good matches your editor's...

Well, I will say, my vision is far superior to any anarchist's picnic
with all sorts of bilge distributed freely on the honor system.  Beyond
that, any project which depends on communication must necessarily stand
or fall on editorial judgment.

	       tcbowden @
 nerdnosh .
 org (Tim Bowden)
	"Readers meeting Writers as the Sea the Very Sky"
  Send: subscribe nerdnosh   To:  majordomo @
 story .
 nerdnosh .
 org