Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 2001)

Subject: Re: Lists and society
From: JC Dill <inet-list @ vo . cnchost . com>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 07:25:50 -0800
To: SRE <eckert @ climber . org>, list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On 10:52 PM 2/9/01, SRE wrote:
>At 05:40 PM 2/9/01, JC Dill wrote:
>>You can easily do this on a list-by-list basis vial the list config file.
>
>Or even easier, and more completely, with demime in the alias pipe:
>
>Demime home page:    http://scifi.squawk.com/demime.html
>Demime perl script:  http://scifi.squawk.com/demime.stable
>Demime config file:  http://scifi.squawk.com/demime_junkmail.cf
>Demime email list:   demime-l @
scifi .
squawk .
com

>Fixes HTML and other crud along the way!

Yes, and no. If the entire post was in the mime attachment, you now have an empty post that has zero value to your list, which will probably generate several meta posts (why was that post empty? what happened to my post? why can't we post HTML?). Further, if someone expected their post to be formatted, by unformatting it you might have changed the content (removed bolding or italics that emphasized certain words) and changed what the author said.

Finally, it assumes (yet again) that the admin has control over and access to the majordomo server. As I said earlier, I don't have control over either of the majordomo servers that host my lists. As such, I can *only* configure my lists via the email interface. I can change the config file, but I can't add demime. If this situation applies to the OP (which I believe it does based on the OPs post), then my solution works and yours doesn't.

jc