Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 2001)

Subject: Re: Lists and society
From: "Amy Stinson" <amys @ amys-answers . com>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 15:14:24 -0500
To: Tim Pierce <twp @ rootsweb . com>, Stephanie da Silva <arielle @ taronga . com>, List-Managers <list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM>

On 10 Feb 2001, at 13:13, Tim Pierce wrote:

> Maybe it sends a copy of itself to one person chosen randomly from
> your address book each time you send mail.  I don't know.  But it
> doesn't look like a ratware job.

No, it doesn't work like that.  If you are infected, what is does is
send an email to someone you recently sent mail to.  Sort of a
piggyback thing.  One way you can nail down the "culprit" is to look
at the headers of the email.  Many times it will list the originating
server in the Message-ID.  Compare that to recent emails and you will
at least be able to start the process of elimination.

Amy

Amy

-----
Amy Stinson
Visit the Machine Knitting Internet Resource
http://www.machine-knit.com
MACHKNIT-SUBSCRIBE-REQUEST @
 LISTHOST .
 COM