Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 2001)

Subject: Re: Quasi-meta-discussion
From: murr rhame <murr @ vnet . net>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 15:53:11 -0500 (EST)
To: Cyndi Norman <cnorman @ best . com>
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM

On Sat, 10 Feb 2001, Cyndi Norman wrote:

> If you haven't experienced some of the hellish list behavior
> others of us are talking about, count yourself lucky.  But
> it's worth reading our stories and preparing, because even
> the nicest of lists can turn nasty in a heartbeat.

I have experienced occasional flame wars of varying levels.  In
one particularly nasty instance, I switched to full moderation
for a few days to let things cool.  This was after posting
several public warnings and silencing a half dozen subscribers
hadn't quelled the skirmish.

I agree that the volatility of mailing lists is highly variable
both from list to list and from day to day.  It only takes one
post from one subscriber to start the mother-of-all flame wars on
a normally placid mailing list if they manage to hit the sweet
spot.

- murr -