Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 2001)

Subject: Re: Just for Grins
From: "David W. Tamkin" <dattier @ ripco . com>
Date: Sun, 11 Feb 2001 12:38:18 -0600 (CST)
Cc: list-managers @ GreatCircle . COM (List-Managers)

Amy Stinson opened a test list on Yahoo Groups and reported,

| It also offers no individual moderation, such as NOPOST or REVIEW

It does.  You can set individual members to No Post or for moderation.  (It
just has a different name from "review.")  You can also set them to bypass
moderation on a moderated list.  Also, one can make an unmoderated list de-
fault to moderating new subscribers until the listowner (or a sufficiently
privileged comoderator) changes the setting for a member who is ready to be
let post without moderation.

| ... nor does it appear to automatically handle bounces ...

Yes, it does, though you might prefer to handle them differently.

| There appears to be no way to access the archives or search by email

True.  Viewing and searching the archives requires logging into the web site
with a Yahoo ID unless the list's archives are set up for public (rather than
members-only) access.

| ...  nor can you set your email to NOMAIL or digest or individual mails
| except by web interface ...

Yes, you can.  Sending any messsage to listname-nomail @
 yahoogroups .
 com,
listname-digest @
 yahoogroups .
 com, or listname-normal @
 yahoogroups .
 com will
perform those tasks without a visit to the web site nor need for a Yahoo ID.

| There is no ability to set the size of digests ...

True.  Digests are sent out once a day, with additional issues during the day
whenever twenty-five posts accumulate.

| It's my opinion that any seasoned list manager would feel kneecapped
| by the limitations of the management possibilities on Yahoogroups,

No quarrel there (that is, if being kneecapped is something like being
hamstrung) ...

| ... but on the other hand, many unseasoned listowners would feel
| overwhelmed by the possibilities presented by a package even as
| management lite as LITE.

... nor there either.  Occasionally a listowner does migrate from something
like Yahoo Groups or Topica to something that we on list-managers would
consider a list management package and feels very liberated; often, though,
one will look into it and decide that it's just too much adjustment or
learning.