Great Circle Associates List-Managers
(February 2001)

Subject: Oh how I love HTML email
From: nolan @ celery . tssi . com
Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 10:36:21 -0600 (CST)
To: list-managers @ GreatCircle . com (List Managers)

> Amidst everything else that sucks about HTML email, I just found a new
> one (new to me at least): one person has a fancy HTML-ized .signature
> that includes both a .jpg. and a .gif.  So every message he sends
> includes about 40K of base64-encoded junk...

How much worse is that, really, than the guy who had a .sig over 1000 lines
long?

I have a friend who has a similarly gunked up .sig, including a sound file!
He doesn't seem to care about the bandwidth he's using up.

FWIW, I just finished moving my lists over to ezmlm, one of the configuration
options it has is to strip out non-text MIME segments.  (I had rolled my
own non-text segment stripper because I could never get demime to work on
my system.)
--
Mike Nolan

Off topic comment of the day:  There is a website for people in the
entertaiment industry to look up actors, writers, etc., and see who their
agents are, i.e., who represents them.

The url is http://www.whorepresents.com, which I suspect won't pass muster
on some anti-porn filters.

Follow-Ups:
Indexed By Date Previous: Oh how I love HTML email